THE COVERED MARKET AND ITS "FOOL"
On the 17th May 1923, the covered market was planned for construction, at a place called “le Climat des Greves”.
Mr Lajoie, an architect from Joigny, exhibited his construction project in 1923 and the building was built in 1925.
On the 20th September 1926, the first box auction for the highest and last bidder took place at a minimum price of 300 old francs. The possession was fixed for the 1st October 1926.
On the 1st June 1962, Mr Quittard, an architect form Auxerre, presented the idea of enlarging the market and the construction started in September 1964.
In October 1993, the covered market became part of an important renovation campaign. In the forecourt, at the entrance of the covered market, there are reproduced drawings of the restored fragments of the Gallo-Roman Mosaic of Migennes.
During the summer of 1994, Aurelien Demangeat painted a fresco on the exterior of the covered market. An omnipresent and unsual character, the “fool” is reminiscent of the great folk festivals that took place here.